Instructor: Chris Eichner
Workshop title: Whole Cloth Painting
Date: Saturday, April 18, 2015
Time: 9:30 am – 4:00 pm
Costs: Class ($25) + Kit ($25)
Where: Lyndon Arts House Fiber Room
How to Register: Contact Linda Zacker
Available for the class:
15 kits available at $25 each
10 Brush kits available for $7 each. They are acrylic white bristles for fabric dyes, short handle
Whole cloth painting
- Artists paint tray, multiple compartments for mixing paints, preferably with lid cover—-craft store
- Paper and fabric scissors
- Mechanical pencil with soft lead #2
- Masking tape or blue painters tape
- Portable light (if you have one)
- Disposable plastic cups 3 or bowls
- 10 x 13 foam core board
- clean up rags- 3
- Large plastic bag for work surface or vinyl sheet
- 3 brushes for acrylic paints( white bristles)for fabric dyes; Loew-Cornell. # 223 4-flat shader , #226 spotter- 5/10, # 228 round scrubber-1
- roll of toilet paper
- optional— container for water ,brushes, and surface to clean brushes, sold in craft stores
Required: Kit fee: $25.00– includes: Pimatex PFD fabric, pattern, photo, set of textile paints and extender
The beauty of these paints is that they are fast drying and do not bleed into one another. The mum photo maybe painted in your choice of colors therefore the threads you choose should complement your mum. Please bring an apron for old clothing as the acrylic paints stain.
The focus of this class will be blending primary paints to achieve a value of color which represents your mum.
Thread painting the mum to embellish veins and petals can be achieved with free- motion embroidery. I will demonstrate this technique, time may not allow for this to be accomplished during workshop; however you will know how to before you go home.
Finishing your flower at home:
Free motion embroidery
Darning foot (free motion) check your sewing machine manual
Microtex needle # 80/12 or jeans needle 80/12
Pellon 910 non fusible interfacing, – 2 layers cut 10 x 13 or 1) 10 x 13 piece of Sulky “Fuse n Stitch” stabilizer.
Optional: Sewing machine with ability to lower feed dog. Depending on finishing painting of mum.
Become familiar with stitch width and upper thread tension adjustments I used 2 to 3 values of color each for dark, medium, and light to highlight, also 2 greens for leaves and black or very dark green for crosshatching. Bobbin filled with 50 or 60 wt. thread or invisible thread of your choice Free- motion thread painting cannot be accomplished without the spring loaded free-motion foot.
Questions: please contact Chris Eichnerby